If you spend a lot of time playing the hottest games online, you’re bound to run into some network connectivity issues now and then. You could experience the frustrating lag that comes with a slow or weak wireless connection, or you could be booted from your favourite game just as you’re about to win, causing a stain on your otherwise impeccable record and leaving you red in the face.
If you already have high-speed internet, chances are you’ve experienced one or both of these situations in the past, frustrating as they may be. The truth is, unless you’re typically playing with a wired LAN connection, they’re almost inevitable. Online game sessions will drop. You will experience lag. It can be maddening, that’s for sure. Read more…
More about Tech, Gaming, Routers, Mashable Shopping, and Consumer Tech
BEST FOR CONSISTENT HIGH SPEEDS
Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500
Power and performance packed in a sleek package.
- Speed: AC2600
- Processor: Dual-core 1.7 GHz
- Features: Netduma OS, Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS)
£249.99 from Amazon
BEST FOR PROS
Netgear NightHawk Pro Gaming XR700
A powerful, but expensive, tri-band router.
- Speed: AD7200
- Processor: 1.7GHz Quad Core Processor
- Features: 512MB of flash memory, 1GB of RAM, MU-MIMO, Geo-Filter, firewall, data-sharing tools, 10-gigabit connectivity
£449.90 from Amazon
BEST FOR NETWORK PRIORITIZATION USERS
Great wireless performance for less.
- Speed: AC3200
- Processor: Dual-core 1.8GHz
- Features: Detachable antennas, four gigabit LAN ports, beam forming, MU-MIMO
£252.31 from Amazon
BEST FOR ALEXA-ENABLED WIRELESS CAPABILITIES
TP-Link Archer C5400X
With solid speeds, great range, Alexa capabilities and built-in malware protection, this router is a great option.
- Speed: AC5400
- Processor: Quad-core 1.8 GHz, plus three co-processors
- Features: Alexa support, mesh WiFi support, eight removable antennas, eight gigabit LAN ports
£349.99 from Amazon
BEST FOR FEATURES AND DESIGN
A great WiFi 6 router that’s full-featured.
- Speed: AX6000
- Processor: Quad-core 1.8GHz
- Features: WiFi 6 support, traffic analysis software, eight gigabit LAN ports, two USB 3.1 ports
£297.49 from Amazon
BEST FOR SECURITY
TP-LINK Archer C4000
With strong parental controls and anti-malware tools, this is a great router for families.
- Speed: AC4000
- Processor: 1.8 GHz 64 Bit Processor
- Features: Alexa voice control, 1 WAN, and 4 LAN gigabit ports. Advanced security Powered by TP-Link homecare, QoS, Parental Controls, built-in antivirus, 1 USB 3.0 port, 1 USB 2.0 port. MU-MIMO simultaneous data streaming. Direct-to client signal beamforming and SmartConnect
£179.99 from Amazon